New Ballet does not discriminate over race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental), gender identity, protected genetic information, pregnancy, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other non merit based factor.
Teaching and Performing Artist
The primary responsibility of a Teaching and Performing Artist Professional is to lead the growth and development of students and Apprentices in partnership with NBES leadership, guest master teachers and choreographers. Performing roles in mainstage productions, Teaching and Performing Artists model professionalism for our students and Apprentices while setting a high bar for technique and artistry. As a full time employee, it is the responsibility of this Artist to attend training with the Artistic team, completing administrative duties (such as class evaluations) as assigned.
36-40 week contracts with benefits for full-time employees.
Professional development including American Ballet Theater School, Dance Education
Laboratory, and the National Dance Institute (NYC, NY).
A performance season that includes three mainstage productions annually,
school tours, and special performance collaborations throughout the local area.
Guest choreographers include Francesca Harper, Elizabeth Corbett , Kim Jones,
Blakeley White McGuire, Daniel Fetecua, and others.
Opportunities to develop choreography for students and Apprentices
Dancers applying should demonstrate:
A strong teaching and performing ability
A strong passion for the care and concern of children
A high technical level of ballet and/or modern dance, the ability to teach varying
levels of dance and ability to lead rehearsals and set choreography. Versatility is a plus at New Ballet. In addition to classical ballet, the repertoire includes Memphis Jookin, Hip Hop, West African, and Flamenco
Professional company credentials and/or BFA in dance strongly desired.
Please send dance and teaching CV, headshot and reels to careers [at] newballet [dot] org for consideration and audition details. Please visit our website for more information about New Ballet Ensemble & School at: www.newballet.org
New Ballet does not discriminate over race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental), gender identity, protected genetic information, pregnancy, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other non-merit- based factor.
Teaching and Performing Artist Apprentice
● Teaching and Learning Responsibilities:
- Assisting a lead Teaching Artist and/or leading a class (depending on Apprenticeship level)
- Support a safe learning environment for all participants and artists
- Participate in pre-plan and post-planning meetings with teaching artists, NBE staff, and mentors
- Commit to and support ongoing professional development as an arts practitioner and educator and to participate in NBE community events
- Support the supervision and ensure the safety and welfare of participants at all times.
- Support students in being engaged and create a classroom culture of respect & participation
- Embrace the role as a mentor and role model for students
● Performance Responsibilities:
- Perform and train alongside master teachers and choreographers in the NBE family including university professors, artists from the Martha Graham company, former William Forsythe and Alvin Ailey company and Broadway veterans
- Participate in 2 to 3 Main Stage performances annually, in school and in community performances throughout the year
- Openly discuss goals and aspirations, partnering with NBE to select optimal professional development opportunities
● Administrative Responsibilities:
- Adhere to NBE guidelines & policies as outlined in NBE policy
- Work to ensure that NBE spaces and classes are welcoming and inclusive to all youth and their family members
- Attend evaluations with the supervisor to maintain collaborative, confident and clear communication
- Respond regularly to commincations from the Artistic team in a timely manner
- Attend teaching artist professional development sessions monthly
- Perform other duties as assigned
Professional salary – Apprentices will be offered a professional salary based on the administrative work, teaching, and performance and rehearsal schedule of each participant.
Free daily class – A daily morning dance class is held for all apprentices and teaching/performing artists. This class is mandatory, a part of the overall schedule, and is provided at no charge. Additional dance classes and trainings are also available to Apprentices throughout the day, which could be included in the development plan, and taken at no charge.
Professional development stipend – Each apprentice will work with the Artistic team to create the appropriate training plan and schedule. If a professional development session is outside the work agreement, compensation will be included in the stipend. If professional development is assigned on an off-contract week, NBES will pay a stipend, travel expenses, accommodation and per diem.
Health care stipend – If an apprentice is unable to secure health insurance through their family, NBE will offer partial support for a health insurance plan that the apprentice chooses.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- Teaching and Performing Artists Apprentice must be 18 years old
- High school diploma, equivalency or plan to obtain certification
- Strong commitment for learning and developing as an artist
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with management, staff, and clients (students & parents/guardians)
- Strong desire and willingness to learn and grow as a young adult and pre-professional dancer
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of New Ballet Ensemble
- Ability to work with a flexible schedule within reason
- Passing a DOJ fingerprint screening and background check is required.
- Commitment to working with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual orientation and generational backgrounds
- Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite of applications, preferred
Applicants for apprentice positions will be required to submit a cover letter indicating why they are a good fit for the program, a resume, and complete an application. Submit these materials to careers [at] newballet [dot] org for consideration.
If advanced in our process to round 2, applicants are required to audition either by submitting a videotape or dancing live in our studio, and participate in a panel interview either remotely or in person. Some Applicants may be required to teach a lesson depending on the level of apprenticeship pursued.
New Ballet Ensemble and School is seeking a knowledgeable and experienced Program Coordinator to assume a variety of administrative and program management functions.
The Program Coordinator (PC) will support our Program Team in educational programming at our York Street facility and our outreach programing. The PC will also support Creative Youth Development and Mentoring functions as well as the artistic team in our annual productions and presentations. To review the full position description, please click here.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
● College degree strongly preferred or 4 years of equivalent professional experience
● 4 years of experience working for a youth development agency and/or a performing arts organization.
● Ability to read, write and speak Spanish is preferred
● Strong commitment for learning and developing as a youth development professional
● Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with management, staff, and clients (students & parents/guardians)
● A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of New Ballet Ensemble, including our developing different styles of dance
● Ability to work weekend and afternoon hours with a flexible schedule
● Pass a DOJ fingerprint screening and background check
● Commitment to working with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio-economic, educational, religious, sexual orientation and generational backgrounds
● Proficient computer skills, especially using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite of applications
This position is full-time with an annual salary of $40,000.00 with opportunities for growth commensurate with experience. A competitive benefits package including Health and Dental insurance, and a generous vacation/holiday schedule.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit both a resume and a cover letter, which addresses how their previous professional experiences aligns to this position, via email to: careers [at] newballet [dot] org. No phone inquiries, please. Deadline to submit materials is August 27, 2021 by 5:00pm. Please visit our website for more information about New Ballet Ensemble & School at: www.newballet.org
New Ballet does not discriminate over race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability (physical or mental), gender identity, protected genetic information, pregnancy, status as a parent, marital status, political affiliation, or any other non-merit-based factor.